1. What are eternity rings?
- A metal ring, usually gold, white gold or platinum, that has no beginning and no end – in other words, it is ‘eternal’. The stones most often used are diamonds.
- A “full eternity” ring is one where the stones are set completely around the ring.
- A “half eternity” ring only has the stones set partially around the ring.
2. Can it be used as a wedding ring/ wedding band?
- Eternity rings are used very often for wedding rings or wedding bands, and are becoming increasingly popular as anniversary gifts and symbolization of many special moments in a couple’s life like the birth of a first born.
- There is a recent fashion for diamond-set wedding rings, which are closely related in style to eternity rings. This can often match the style of the engagement ring
3. Is it always made from diamonds?
- No. It usually is however but rubies, sapphires, emeralds and other stones are also popular, usually in conjunction with diamonds.
4. What finger do you wear the eternity ring on?
- It is a personal choice with no absolute answer. Many people wear them on their “ring finger”, which is normally the third finger of the left hand. Many people choose to wear their eternity ring instead of a wedding ring.
5. When should it be given?
- Different countries have different traditions.People use eternity rings to symbolize and celebrate various moments in their lives.
- The most popular occasions in Ireland are for the first year anniversary or for the birth of the first child.
View our superb collection of Eternity Rings on the site.